You will usually need to apply for ethical approval from the University – please contact your University Research department for assistance.

Before you apply, you will need...

You do have the option to apply for HRA approval, even though your study does not require it. If you want to do this, you will need:

To complete your IRAS application, visit

For a guide to using the IRAS system see

If you do not wish to apply to the HRA, please send all your study documents (as sent to the University ethics committee), for example patient information sheets, protocol etc. to and include your University ethical approval and sponsor letter. You will then need to wait for confirmation from the West Yorkshire R&D Team that the study may go ahead. It is advisable to contact the team as early as possible in the process to allow time for processing and any queries.

To conduct a research study in the NHS, which means either recruiting patients or staff through their role in the NHS, or using patient or staff data, or taking place on NHS premises; you will need to consult with the NHS organisation, which will need to confirm capability and capacity of the organisation to take part in the study.

For research in primary care, each GP practice you want to use as a research site or Participant Identification Centre (PIC) has to sign off to say they have capability and capacity. If your study is taking place in primary care in West Yorkshire you also need to copy in the West Yorkshire R&D Team. The West Yorkshire R&D Team can also advise the practices on this process. A webinar explaining how sponsors should work together with sites can be found here.

The team can also help you to identify sites. For other areas or for secondary or community care organisations please also see to identify which NHS organisation will be able to offer you support.

If you need advice, please contact or for technical queries with the IRAS form

You may need to undertake GCP (Good Clinical Practice) training (see here for guidance) or obtain a research passport or letter of access (see here for guidance) before undertaking your research.


We would love to hear from you! To provide us with feedback please click here and complete the feedback form.